Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Journey: 1999-07-25 Dallas, TX (FLAC_AUD Bootradr Master_2 CD)

PREFACE:  Today, 2015-03-27, I am uploading a fresh copy of this show ripped with EAC.  I'm leaving most information past tense as it would have been three years ago when I uploaded it.  But I am updating what needs to be updated such as the lineage and information that was never added (the microphone uses for example) as I read through the original posting.  Also, as the show is uploading I am recalling that I did not use the microphone mentioned in the text file.  I used a clip on Sony microphone that was not near as good as the Sony ECM-907 condenser microphone obtained the following year.

Here's another show I recorded (13 years ago tomorrow and haven't listened to in a long, long time.  I have to admit; I am surprised at how excellent this show sounds!

changed my seating from the right side of the amphitheater to a center, closer seating after a song or two.  And there might be a comment or two like "hey, you're in my seat" as latecomers arrived and I moved down (in a packed facility) to the next open seat.  But overall, the show sounds much better than I remembered (this recording I'm referring to).

Through all the years of recording Journey shows in Texas, this one got put away in the "storage" boots area and hasn't been one I've pulled out in some time until yesterday.  I made the artwork using a free (1999) artwork program that came on the PC I had then.  It's been so long ago, and so many PCs ago, that I cannot even recall the software's name.  Needless to say, once I started using Photoshop, I never looked back :-)  It's pretty simple artwork, errors and all, but it beats none.

The "Chili Ghost" label on the artwork was something I came up with as I was playing around on day in 1999.  I wanted to create more of a "Swinging Pig" (longtime collectors know what I mean) type of logo, but hey, it was 1999 and the software came free on the PC.  I do remember that as I tried working with the chili pepper and resizing it, well, he became a little blurry and looked like a ghost.  Thus, the "Chili Ghost" label was created and died.  I think I used him on a few CD artwork projects, but he never became a "Swinging Pig" :-)

Anyways, rather than ramble on about "Chili Ghost" and the creation of this CD artwork, how about some details on the show!

DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: July 25th, 1999
Location: Dallas, Texas
Venue: Coca Cola Starplex
Source: AUD (1st Gen)
Format: FLAC
CD: 2
Artwork: Yes
Label: Bootradr Master
Title: Dallas, TX 07/25/99
Size: 682 MB
Length: 103:26:10

LINEAGE:
(1. 1999) Master Sony MD-70 recorder @ 44.1 kHz, 16 bit WAV with external Sony unknown stereo clip on microphone > transferred to PC via analog cable (no digital output on recorder) > tracked with fade in/outs using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 5 > burned to master CD-R's
(2. 2015) Master CD-R's > EAC (Secure Mode/Offset Correction) > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for lossiness, SBE's and create and verify ffp & md5 files) > you

NOTES:
The TLH CDDA Test (log included) makes this recording look as if it could be lossy.  But it is not.  I've never recorded anything in a lossy format and never will.  However, mini disc recorders are known (I have learned) to give these false negative results and I likely did do some type of EQ'ing of the audio unfortunately without the real knowledge of how it should be done right.  There is some audio clipping in the waveform, however, it is not horrible.  And this is the lowest generation of the audio that exists because stupidly I use to overwrite the mini discs used when a new show came around even though this was recorded on brand new media at the time.


SETLIST:
CD 1:
101. opening music
102. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
103. Ask The Lonely
104. Stone In Love
105. Remember Me
106. Send Her My Love
107. Lights
108. Jonathan Cain (piano solo) ~ Lights
109. Fillmore Boogie
110. Just The Same Way
111. Anytime
112. Escape
113. Wheel In The Sky (intro)
114. Wheel In The Sky
115. Be Good To Yourself

CD 2:
201. Any Way You Want It (fades in)
202. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' (intro)
203. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
204. crowd (encore)
205. Chain Reaction
206. Don't Stop Believin'
207. Faithfully

LINK:
(1) 1999-07-25 Dallas, TX (AUD 1st Gen/Bootradr Master)

Dime Torrent -  http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=414181&viewcomm=5498073#comm5498073
NOTE: I created a torrent and posted it on Dime.  If you're a Dime member, you'll know what to do.  If not, sign up for a free account and READ THE RULES.  Keep your sharing ratio at 0.025% or higher so as to not get banned.  It's a much faster download almost always!  Here's the link...and back to the original blog post now.

As one might be able to tell, this was the days of 74 minute CD-R's still.  And it was my first time recording digitally and without tape.  If I were to record this show today, I'd have split the tracks up more evenly on the CD's I created.  But it was the learning era where we hadn't had CD burners that came stock with PCs (forget about DVD burners then) for too long.  And it seemed normal to me to just add mini disc 1 to CD 1 and mini disc 2 to CD 2.  And it all turned out great.

This was my first Journey show I'd ever been able to see live, and I've seen and recorded every Dallas (and a few Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and one Beaumont, Texas) show since.  I still have my unused, 1986-12-10 Houston Summit ticket from the show I didn't go see.  I chose work (at Hartz Chicken), or rather to keep my job, and decided I'd just go see Journey next year.  Well, next year was 13 years later.

As Journey fans know, in early February 1987, Journey disappeared until 1996 (I think) when Steve Perry returned to the band and the released the Trial by Fire CD.  And then they didn't tour until 1998 when Steve Perry was replaced by Steve Augeri.  So I missed my one Perry era show I was old enough to drive to and see by myself.  And wouldn't you know it, no bootleg of that show has ever surfaced (yet anyways).  Man, I wished I'd quit that chicken restaurant job in 1986!

Steve Augeri does a great job in this 1999 show.  This was their second tour with him and the first in Dallas at a big venue.  The show is a memory I'll never forget.  I finally saw Journey and it was great.  The band really seemed to be enjoying themselves and so was the crowd.

Foreigner, with Lou Graham,  was the opening band for this 1999 Dallas Journey show too.  And yes, I recorded it.  Unfortunately, due to what had happened to Lou Graham's health, he was having to relearn the songs he created.  And it did show.  Their performance was not very good.  But it was not his fault.  There was nothing he could do that would've prevented his brain tumor and memory loss and you couldn't help feeling bad for him and the band.  They all seemed to lack the excitement in touring and you could tell it was tough for all of them.  I believe that was the last time he toured with Foreigner (the tour, not the show).

I almost forgot about this.  I also added the ticket stub from the show signed by Steve Smith.  Yes, that's right.  I met him on 1999-07-13 which was about two weeks before the Journey concert.  He had left Journey when the tour they were planning with Steve Perry in 1996/97 fell apart.  And he decided not to return when they reformed with Steve Augeri because he had his own band going.  So as strange as it may look, I got the former Journey drummer's signature on a ticket to the band/show that he was no longer a part of right before seeing Journey for the first time.  How cool is that :-)

Anyways, memories remain...and the meeting of Steve Smith (yes I bootlegged his drum clinic too) and my first Journey show are ones to remember.

I hope you enjoy the Journey show...

Bootradr

SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!




3 comments:

  1. Dear Bootradr

    All files has been deleted already.
    I'm really sad.

    Best regards,
    from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bootradr

    Thank you for the new links, over and over again!!!
    I really look forward to listening to this show, too!!!!!

    Best regards,
    from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment too KAZ :-) I hope you enjoyed the show buddy...

    Bootradr

    ReplyDelete