Friday, May 10, 2013

Journey: 2011-07-29 New York, NY (Pro Shot DVD_HD DVB_Bootradr Remaster)

Here's a DVD I created back in 2011 after Journey's live, partial show aired on "Today".  I shared this on two other sites back then but decided to share it here for others to enjoy if they so desired to.

Be sure to read the notes near the end of this posting to make yourself aware of some important items.

SHOW DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: July 29th, 2011
Location: New York, New York
Venue: Rockefeller Plaza
Label: Bootradr Remaster
Title: Live NBC's Today Show 2011

LINEAGE:
DVB > VIP622 dual HD DVR > Philips DVDR-3475 standalone burner > Sony DVD+RW > PC > AVS Video Authoring > Trader's Little Helper > you

DVD ATTRIBUTES:
Menus: Yes (with music)
Chapters: Yes
Artwork: Yes (thanks to Veronica)
DVD Length: 26 minutes, 14 seconds
DVD Size: 1.86GB

VIDEO:
Format: NTSC
Resolution: 720 x 480
Aspect: 4:3 (see notes below)
Frame Rate: 29.97 fps
Bitrate: 9400 kbps
Codec: MPEG-2

AUDIO:
Sample Rate: 48 kHz
Bitrate: 224 kbps
Codec: mp2
Channels: 2
Streams: 1 

CHAPTERS:
1. "...coming up..."
2. Don't Stop Believin'
3. band interview
4. City of Hope
5. Faithfully
6. "...one more song coming up..."
7. Anyway You Want It

LINKS:
Part 1 - 2011-07-29 New York, NY (Pro Shot/Bootradr Project)
Part 2 - 2011-07-29 New York, NY (Pro Shot/Bootradr Project)
Part 3 - 2011-07-29 New York, NY (Pro Shot/Bootradr Project)
Part 4 - 2011-07-29 New York, NY (Pro Shot/Bootradr Project)
Part 5 - 2011-07-29 New York, NY (Pro Shot/Bootradr Project)

NOTES:
I didn't have a way to transfer this HD broadcast other than via my DVR to the standalone DVD burner when I made this project.  I'm still slightly confused as to the 4:3 aspect ratio of this recording.  I chose to transfer the HD broadcast in its native 16:9 aspect ratio format and I built the DVD the same way.  But it seems to have transferred it in the 4:3 ratio format possibly and burned it to my DVD the same way.  But there's an easy solution to seeing it like it was broadcast and recorded to my DVR.

On some of my DVD/Blu-Ray players the video fills the screen like it should (16:9).  But on some of the older DVD players, it displays as if it were a 4:3 ratio recording.  I just double checked the files used to create the DVD and they do have 4:3 properties.  But there is a simple fix on any modern day TV.  Just use your TV or DVD player's remote control and choose "stretch" (or whatever term your TV or player uses) and it fits perfectly on the screen with no stretching.  It's very simple to do.

I still don't understand why the output was in the 4:3 aspect ratio?  I strongly suspect the standalone unit, even though it plays back the DVD in the widescreen 16:9 way, doesn't truly transfer/burn the video in the 16:9 widescreen format to disc.

I've been using a Happauge PVR to transfer everything digitally lately.  I'm still looking for a better PVR to do my digital video transfers too.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Anyhow, I removed all commercials and non Journey related talk in the broadcast other than the first minute or so of the "Today" show's opening.  And I also added transitional effects for a smooth flow where the commercials and junk like that would have been.  The project turned out very nice I believe.

I hope you enjoy the show...

Bootradr

No comments:

Post a Comment