Monday, April 7, 2014

Lynyrd Skynyrd: 1976-04-07 Boston, MA (FLAC_AUD Master_2 CD)

This excellent sounding show was recorded 38 years ago tonight by a taper in Boston, Massachusetts.  This show, digitally transferred from the master cassette tapes, really sound excellent too.  I've had it for a few years but have never listened to it myself yet other than on the PC.  But it's easy to tell the sound is great as well as the performance and it seems this is the full concert (with one track cut in) too.

It was about a year and after this concert, on 1977-10-20, Lynyrd Skynyrd's chartered Convair 240 aircraft, one that was operated and maintained out of Addison, Texas, crashed in Mississippi killing three of the band members.  And according to The History Channel's History.com website, the band Aerosmith had looked at this same plane before Lynyrd Skynyrd but had concerns about the flight crew and passed on the aircraft.  That may have very well saved that band's lives?

I got this show off of Dime I believe and the transfer and work on this show we have was done by Steve Hopkins, a person I don't know, but also a name I've come to associate with quality.  So a special thanks goes out to him for this recording!  I'm leaving it "as is" and not doing anything but verifying the files and re-sharing it.

LINEAGE:
Audience Stereo Master FOB (Probably Sony ECM-99A > Sony TC-153SD)
Master Cassette > CDR > EAC secure > Audacity (edits) > CD Wave (tracks) > FLAC > Nakamichi MR-1 > Tascam CD-RW900 > Azimuth Aligned; Dolby B decoded, no processing or EQ
Total Time - 88:33
Thanks to FF for the cassette
Transfer and encoding by Steve Hopkins

DETAILS:
Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Date: April 7th, 1976
Location: Boston, MA
Venue: Orpheum Theatre
Source: AUD (Master)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: No
Label: None
Title: None
Size: 515 MB

SETLIST:
CD 1:
101. intro
102. Double Trouble
103. Saturday Night Special
104. Gimme Back My Bullets
105. The Needle And The Spoon
106. Cry For The Bad Man (cuts in)
107. I Got The Same Old Blues
108. Tuesday's Gone
109. Searching

CD 2:
201. Gimme Three Steps
202. Call Me The Breeze
203. talk & tuning
204. T For Texas *
205. Sweet Home Alabama
206. talk & tuning
207. Free Bird

* with Hughie Thomasson & Billy Jones from The Outlaws

BAND:
Allen Collins - guitar
Billy Powell - keyboards
Artimus Pyle - drums
Gary Rossington - guitar
Ronnie Van Zant - vocals
Leon Wilkeson - bass, vocals

LINKS:
(1) 1976-04-07 Boston, MA (AUD Master)
(1) 1976-04-07 Boston, MA (AUD Master)

Each time I've heard the song "Freebird" through the years, it always takes me back to my first girlfriend Sheila Marie S.  I recall how I felt as we walked along the seawall in Galveston on the hot 4th of July Summer 198X night too.  She was a runaround, liar, and I was totally in love with her still.  But I knew I had to set her free and move on (even though it wound up being about 6 months later).  As we were walking back to where I'd parked the car, after being at the beach all day, and as the fireworks show was going, the song "Freebird" was blaring loud and clear from someone's vehicle.  This was the days when everyone had or wanted the loudest sound system and had their Kicker box speakers they could remove and put on their car roof, truck bed, or wherever they wanted to and just crank it up.  But as the song was playing on a local radio station, the music was blaring, and she was being distant; I knew it was over.  And this one song can take me back to that day in my youth every time :-)  Those were the days!  And I made it through them just fine :-)

Anyhow, getting back on track now, this is the first Skynyrd show I think I've uploaded here.  I've got a lot more of their shows, both great sounding and horrible sounding recordings, and over time I'll upload a few more.

Even though I never really bought a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd tapes or CD's growing up, I always liked them.  The modern version of the bad is OK, but it is nothing like the old day band.  Honestly, I don't think I even have any recordings of the more modern version of the band.  I'm not saying they aren't any good.  I'm just saying I like what can not be reproduced and that's the band that died in October of 1977.

If I have time today, I might upload one of two DVD's I have of Skynyrd from 1975 and 1976 at Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco.  Like the Journey Winterland DVD I uploaded a few days ago, they're black and white videos but they're better quality too.  And the performances are outstanding.  Especially watching the three guitarists playing off of each other and extending solos and songs beyond any radio version makes these two DVD's a couple of my favorite Skynyrd performances.  Plus, I have another black and white DVD of their last known show to be professionally shot in early October (I believe it's early October) of 1977.  It's called "Final Flight" fittingly.

I hope you enjoy the concert!  Until next time...

Bootradr

SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

 KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!


2 comments: