Thursday, August 27, 2015

Atlanta Rhythm Section: 1975-08-27 Cleveland, OH (FLAC_AUD_1 CD)

This show was 40 years ago today in Cleveland, Ohio.  I know very little to nothing about Atlanta Rhythm Section (ARS) and for many years thought they did movie soundtracks.  I was wrong.

This is reported as an audience recording but the more I listen to it the more I think it is a soundboard.  The sound is superb either way and the stereo separation if really nice.  If this is an audience recording there must have been nobody in the audience.  After all, how many people could a place named Smiling Dog Saloon hold anyway?  Truthfully, there are very few people it sounds like when they do clap and cheer in between songs.  It may very well be an audience recording and if so it is a perfect sounding stereo one with unusually great stereo separation.

LINEAGE:
CD-R trade > Media Monky rip > FLAC >
me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Atlanta Rhythm Section
Date: August 27th, 1975
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Venue: Smiling Dog Saloon

Title: Live At Smiling Dog Saloon

Label: Media Monkey
Source: SB
Format: FLAC
CD's: 1
Artwork: No
Size: 362 MB
Length: 59:24:67

SETLIST:
01. Back Up Against The Wall
02. Who You Gonna Run To

03.
Dog Days
04. Angel
05. Doraville
06. Another Man's Wife
07. Help Yourself
08. Boogie Smoogie


LINK:
(1) 1975-08-27 Cleveland, OH (SB/FM)

I collected about five or six of the ARS shows shared a few years ago on Dime and I was very pleasantly surprised by the band.  I was just looking for something different and decided to try a band I'd known nothing about from the 1970's.  The guitars are the one thing that I really like in the band's songs.  They are a southern rock with a mix of something I just cannot put a finger on in their style of music.  I hear some Lynyrd Skynyrd with Neal Schon on guitars as I listen to the music right now.  They seem to have a few bands they sound like to me.  But the rhythm and the guitars are what I like best.  They are actually a southern band too I gather from not only the music but from something (I can't recall what it was right now) the announcer says at the beginning of the show before the band starts playing.

The waveform looks perfect in the recording and there sound is nothing short of a perfect sound.  It is perfectly mixed and everything and everyone playing and singing in the band are heard evenly.  This recording has a full range of sound and it does appear to possibly be an audience recording I am noticing the more I listen.  But if I were to just sample it, I'd be convinced this was a superb soundboard.

It sounds as if the songs may have the parts in between them removed or not taped possibly.  One song pretty quickly goes into the next and there is a slight (not real obvious) jumping from one point to the next in the audio.  No music or even audience noise is chopped though.  I cannot tell for sure if this is the case or not, and if it is, it isn't happening on every song either.  There is no tape hiss or any indication of this being anything short of this being from the master tape I'd have to say.

If you have an interest in a superb recording of a southern rock, great guitars  stereo recording I would recommend trying this.  You may be more familiar with the band than I am.  They are talented musicians and I like their music.  Some songs I am familiar with from radio play over the years but not very familiar at the same time.

I don't have a lot more I can say since I am listening to the show as I make this write-up and I'm not familiar with the band and most of their music.  But I do like it and them.  And I'm still not 100% sure this is an audience recording and not a soundboard.  I'm up to "Another Man's Wife" right now and I just want to hear a longer show if for nothing more than the awesome guitar players and the incredible sound of this recording!  The more I listen to this show the more I like it too.  These guys are really good.

I went ahead and finished listening to the show and the only other comment to make regarding the recording is that the very few last seconds of the last track are cut off early.  I'm not sure if it was a 60 minute tape used and the recorder ran out of tape (would possibly account for the cut sounding section during silence I mentioned above) or what the reason may be.  The song cuts off and then a few seconds later you hear a guy off in the distance yelling from the crowd and the band says "Thank you very much" twice.  Well, I'm sure they said it once but about 5 - 10 seconds after the first time you hear a repeat of it again.  Sounds like it was just some bad editing but it sure doesn't ruin the great show.

A thanks goes to "Scooter" for sharing this and I believe a few other of the ARS shows I got off of Dime!

NOTES:
After I started the upload I found some images of the Smiling Dog Saloon and some back artwork.  They aren't in the upload obviously.  Maybe I'll make some front artwork later and post it?  Also, after all the deciding if this was an audience (as claimed) or soundboard (as it sounds), I'm going with the soundboard after seeing the FM broadcast information on the back art.  This paragraph is not in the text file so you may want to add it.


I hope you enjoy the show...
 
Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment