Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Journey: 1983-03-02 Tokyo, Japan (FLAC_AUD_2 CD)

This is another Calm & Storm label silver CD EAC rip I did Saturday and as with the previous Journey post the label did a great job and doesn't let us down.  This recording is from Journey's Frontiers LP tour as they were opening the tour (days earlier) in Japan.

This audience recording is more rare (and complete) than the FM broadcast copies that are all over the place (including here).  This came as a 4 CD set with the first two discs being the complete audience recording of the show and the last two disc being from the FM broadcast of this show in Japan in 1983.

I've uploaded an excellent-to-superb FM broadcast master cassette of the show in the past and it can be found HERE!  I have not done a real comparison between this copy (CD's 3 & 4 in a future upload...soon) and my best copy, the one at the link, and this copy yet.  But either way, I'll be uploading the last two discs soon for those interested.

My friend "techtuts" has remastered the copy I uploaded in the past and I have not had a chance to upload it yet.  He is also remastering this 4 CD set and I will be uploading those remasters along with his just finished remaster of the previously uploaded 1980-10-13 Tokyo, Japan audience recording soon.

I wanted to take a minute and let Journey fans know of "techtuts'" new site dedicated to Journey music and related topics and materials.  He recently opened Dixie Highway and he is uploading both the unaltered copies as well as remastered copies of the shows he works on.  I highly recommend checking his site out and registering on it.  You can get a lot of rare Journey shows, many I've never even uploaded yet, and he really knows what he is doing when it comes to remastering audio.  He blows me away with his skills and he is a great guy too.  So check out his site here at DIXIE HIGHWAY's index page.

LINEAGE:
Calm & Storm silver CD's > EAC (Secure Mode, Offset Correction) > WAV > TLH  (to test for lossiness and other issues) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Journey
Date: March 3rd, 1983
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Venue: Budokan Hall
Title: Frontiers In Japan

Label: Calm & Storm
Source: AUD (Low Gen)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 2
Artwork: Yes (full 300 dpi scans in download)
Size: 877 MB
Length: 123:29:11


SETLIST:

CD 1:
101. intro music
102. Chain Reaction
103. Wheel In The Sky

104. Line Of Fire
105.
Send Her My Love
106. Still They Ride
107. Open Arms
108. No More Lies
109. Back Talk
110. Jonathan Cain (keyboards solo)
111. Frontiers
112. Rubicon
113. Steve Smith (drum solo)
114. Edge Of The Blade

CD 2:
201.
Faithfully
202. Who'd Crying Now

203. Don't Stop Believin'
204. Stone In Love
205. Keep On Runnin'
206. Any Way You Want It
207. Escape
208. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
209. After The Fall
210.
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
211. Lights
212. Don't Fight It


LINK:
(1) 1983-03-02 Tokyo, Japan (AUD/Calm & Storm)

MIRROR:
(1) 1983-03-02 Tokyo, Japan (AUD/Calm & Storm) (Mirror)

NOTE:
I'm using a free Mega account as a mirror in this upload.  Those of you downloading please leave me a message here or on the Facebook (Community Group or Secret Group) letting me know what works best as far as the links go.  I eventually plan on adding a secondary mirror site to my posts as I've always had until the last year or so.  Your opinion will help me help you.


The waveform on this show being uploaded is excellent looking with no audio clipping at all in the waveform and room to work with the audio if you wanted to.  The recording itself ranges between excellent-to-superb at times I feel and it is the best audience recording of this show I have heard.  And if any editing was done to the audio by the label, I cannot tell.  There are some audio issues I noticed when listening with headphones the other night.  But I believe it something "techtuts" will be able to correct in his remaster too.  And to be honest, it isn't issues that stand out or ruin this show's sound.

The mix sounds excellent in the show and Steve Perry is up front and clean sounding as are the other band members.  The mix is a well balanced sound of all band members right off of the silver discs.  The high end frequencies are really nice and clean here too.  I believe this taper must have been very close to the stage.

One thing I really like too is the crowd noise doesn't interfere with the songs and sounds like we would hope it would (not being an issue).  You can occasionally hear a Japanese person speaking in the right channel but it is not often and it is not loud either.  The crowd, as one would expect, is really enjoying the show you can tell between songs.

There are songs and extended parts of some songs in this recording that were never broadcast over the air in the FM broadcast.  For instance, Neal Schon's "No More Lies" and Journey's "Back Talk", and "Edge of the Blade" are just a few songs in this audience recording and not on the FM broadcast copy.  There is a lot more here too in the talk between songs, the members instrumental tracks, and similar things not in the FM broadcast aired set.  I haven't compared my previous uploaded FM master cassette setlist to the following discs 3 & 4 (not in this upload) to check and see if they match perfectly.  But I will when I get to uploading those two discs.

The artwork for this show is great and I scanned everything including the ticket replica and added it.  And I scanned it at 300 dpi too for a higher resolution.  I'm sick of these 50 kb artwork images in so many uploads today and I figure if you're going to do it, do it right!

This show sounds a lot better than I had first given it credit for sounding.  I had listened to a lot of music that night and my ears may just not have been adjusted yet to this audience recording I guess?  The only other audience copy I had ever heard of this show was a lossy mp3 and it sounded horrible.  Maybe it was a different source?  I don't know but this release blows the mp3 copy out of the water.

I have been listening to the first two audience recorded discs as I have been preparing this post.  And the more I listen the more I love it!  I'm almost done with disc 2 and the audio has a very stable and consistent sound throughout the show.  It doesn't seem to suffer from good sounding parts and then parts where the microphone is pointed at the ground and the sound gets muted.  The taper did a wonderful job it sounds like.  And like the previous 1980-10-13 show uploaded, this one was also recorded by "Miracle Man".  He seems to have recorded a lot of shows in Japan in years past and the audio from what I've heard sounds like he knew what he was doing as a taper.

One other thing I like with both this 1983-03-02 recording and the 1980-10-13 recording is the label helps keep the show as complete as possible.  When there is a CD change, they repeat a few seconds of the last part of the tape at the beginning of the next disc and continue on.  I like it when this is done so you don't feel as if something was missed in the recording.  To me, this shows extra attention to detail and I just like it personally.

A special thanks goes to "Digital_Journey", "techtuts", and "Steve7777" for getting these discs to me to EAC rip and prepare to share with all of you too!

I hope you enjoy the show...

Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!







4 comments:

  1. thank you for the latest two Journey uploads - much appreciated and thank you for the interesting link to dixie highway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Olli said--so awesome to hear something you've never heard before from that era, and I'm also having a blast checking out Dixie Highway! Oh, and I'm finding the Mega mirror to work much faster so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Olli and Kay Cee for the replies and comments. And I am glad to hear others are enjoying the music as much as I do too :-)

    And thanks for the reply and report on the Mega downloads too Kay Cee! I've only got 50 GB to work with on Mega and I may go ahead and get an account with them when I can spend the money. Let's hope they last longer this time than they did when they were Megaupload...

    Bootradr

    ReplyDelete