Thursday, April 14, 2016

Led Zeppelin: 1980-07-07 Berlin, Germany (FLAC_SB, AUD, + Bonus FM BX_5 CD)

And now we are to the last Led Zeppelin show I have not ever uploaded from the 1980 European tour as well as the last show of the band before John Bonham  died less than two months later.  EVSD did a decent job on this one too.

This is an excellent sounding 5 disc set of both the soundboard recording (discs 1 & 2), audience recording (discs 3 & 4), and the final disc 5 which has news reports of John Bonham's death and the possible end of Led Zeppelin from 1980 radio broadcasts.  The final disc can be easily added to disc 2 (soundboard) or disc 4 (audience) since it is under 4 minutes.  In fact, it could be added to both discs if you wanted it at the end of each source's  recording.  The different news reports are just one track and it is 3:52 in total running time.

LINEAGE:
EVSD silver CD's > Nero Burning Rome > FLAC Frontend > FLAC 7 > me > TLH > WAV (to test for lossiness) > Audacity (to view waveform, embed metadata/track titles & info, and then to re-encode) > FLAC 8 > TLH (to check for SBE's and create and verify new ffp & md5 files) > you

DETAILS:
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Date: July 7th, 1980
Location: Berlin, Germany
Venue: Eissporthalle
Title: Eternal Magic

Label: EVSD
Source: SB/AUD/FM BX (not a mix of these sources...read post for info)
Format: FLAC
CD's: 5
Artwork: Yes (full artwork in download)
Size:1.45 GB
Length 1: 135:28:02
(Discs 1 & 2 SB)
Length 2: 142:23:02 (Discs 3 & 4 AUD)
Length 3: 03:52:12 (Disc 5 Bonham's Death News Reports)
Length 4: 281:43:16 (All 5 Discs TRT)

SETLIST:

CD 1 (Soundboard CD 1):
101. Train Kept A Rollin'
102. Nobody's Fault But Mine

103. Black Dog
104. In The Evening

105. The Rain Song
106. Hot Dog
107. All My Love
108. Trampled Underfoot
109. Since I've Been Loving You

CD 2
(Soundboard CD 2):
201. White Summer
~ Black Mountain Side
202. Kashmir
203. Stairway To Heaven
204. Rock And Roll
205. Whole Lotta Love


CD 3 (AUD CD 1):
101. Train Kept A Rollin'
102. Nobody's Fault But Mine

103. Black Dog
104. In The Evening

105. The Rain Song
106. Hot Dog
107. All My Love
108. Trampled Underfoot
109. Since I've Been Loving You

CD 4
(AUD CD 2):
201. White Summer
~ Black Mountain Side
202. Kashmir
203. Stairway To Heaven
204. Rock And Roll
205. Whole Lotta Love

CD 5:
501. The Radio Reports


LINKS:
(1) 1980-07-07 Berkin, Germany (SB, AUD, & FM BX/EVSD
(2) 1980-07-07 Berkin, Germany (SB, AUD, & FM BX/EVSD)

MIRROR:
(1) 1980-07-07 Berkin, Germany (SB, AUD, & FM BX/EVSD) (Mirror)

(2) 1980-07-07 Berkin, Germany (SB, AUD, & FM BX/EVSD) (Mirror)

NOTE:
I'm using a free Mega account as a mirror in this upload.  Those of you downloading please leave me a message here or on the Facebook (Community Group or Secret Group) letting me know what works best as far as the links go.  I eventually plan on adding a secondary mirror site to my posts as I've always had until the last year or so.  Your opinion will help me help you.


The waveform does have clipping in the audio which surely came from EVSD over amplifying the audio or when they EQ'ed it.  It isn't horrible clipping but it has more than I like.  But what do you expect?  Many labels can press a professional disc but do not really know how to properly edit and work with the audio too many times unfortunately.  But the show and recordings sounds excellent-to-superb to my ears.

This final Led Zeppelin show may very well be the best sounding show out of the 14 concerts they performed in Europe in 1980.  This was their comeback after three years of not touring and the United States tour was to begin in November 1980.  And after the previous 1980 shows leading to this last one, they were warmed up and in a groove and ready to continue on after a short break (which wound up being 27 years before they played a full show again).

This paragraph a little off topic and not related to the show.  But it all has to do with this same 1980 time frame and what I talk about in this post.  I have a real, true, and never used Led Zeppelin ticket from their November 13, 1980 Chicago, Illinois show that never happened.  How you ask?  It is thanks to Led Zeppelin Tickets!  The day John Bonham died, the tickets arrived in the United States for the bands first shows so they could be sold.  But they were not distributed since the tour was obviously cancelled due to John Bonham's passing away on September 25, 1980.  Led Zeppelin Tickets helped me in getting my ticket and if you ever have any interest in owning one there are likely some left.  This is the FACEBOOK PAGE and their main website is HERE (or just go to LedZeppelinTickets.com for more information).

Getting back to the show at hand here now, this is a really awesome performance by the group and as I stated it may be their best performance on the tour since it was their last night.  I like Jimmy Page's (different again) intro to "Since I've Been Loving You" and his different ending to "Trampled Underfoot" as well.  I'm not saying this is the definitive copy of the show being shared or even those tracks when compared to other shows because it likely isn't.  But it is a really excellent and even superb sounding recording in both the soundboard and audience discs for the show.

I noticed on the soundboard disc 1 that there was an audience patch when I was starting to work on this upload yesterday.  I'm listening to disc 2 of the soundboard now and have not heard any more patches yet and I am up to "Kashmir".  Ha!  What a great time to make that statement because there is another audience patch for about 20 seconds in the middle of "Kashmir" I heard right after I typed what I did.

I am listening to the audience source(s) used now (after finishing the soundboard discs) as I finish preparing this upload.  The audio sounds excellent but I know an unaltered copy of a low generation audience source is what I want.  I don't know if one exists or if I even may have one on the drive not plugged in now?  I looked briefly online yesterday for anything I might not have had (audience or soundboard for 1980-07-07) and I could not find anything.  But I am fairly sure I do not have a low generation copy of this same source audience recording and if I do it is not one that is unaltered.  But it is obvious the audience recording this was sourced from was an excellent sounding recording so there is likely an unaltered copy out there somewhere (hopefully besides in EVSD's hands).


Both the audience and soundboard recordings make for very enjoyable listening though so you should not be disappointed because the instruments and vocals are all easily heard, mixed decently, and the sound is excellent at least.  The high and low frequency ranges are present as well in the audience recording and it has a more "full range" of sound..  It has its flaws in some areas but is generally a nice, clean sounding recording.  "Hot Dog" sounds like two audience sources, possibly running at different speeds, were used and that is very noticeable.

Using the Trader's Little Helper (TLH) program to check for lossiness in the audience recording, it left some question marks in my mind as to whether or not lossy audio was used.  But after a frequency analysis (FA) it looked lossless and was just altered by the EVSD EQ work causing it to look possibly lossy to TLH.  This happens sometimes when EQ'ing is done, frequencies are cut or altered, etc.  But it is a lossless and NOT a lossy sourced audience source.

I'm not going to run on and do much more talking here this early morning.  I'm wanting to get this 5 CD set uploading.  I will say the full artwork scans are in the upload but they are low resolution scans and not large files.  They are 150 dpi scans so it isn't too bad and they can surely be resized  if need be.

I'm glad EVSD did a decent job on this one as well.  I'll surely be uploading other copies of this show as time goes by.  I forget what all I have for this date but I do know I have an unaltered first generation copy of the soundboard as well as so a number of various label copies and some remasters too.  I saw something that made me think there may be a Winston Remasters copy of the show but I do not have nor have I seen that one before.  It may be a future project or something like that but I really do not know.  Hopefully, if a Winston Remasters copy doesn't already exist, one will someday soon.  I have a feeling that one will be the definitive copy since he does such incredible work and he also works with the best sources (lowest generation) recordings in his projects.  He really gets things sounding the best in most cases I feel.


This is a sad show to listen to knowing it was the final, all original members Led Zeppelin show ever.  And Jimmy Page does do a "Stairway To Heaven" solo that is totally different than any other version of the song I have heard him doing.  As I stated a few posts back, it was like he was saying "goodbye" without even realizing it in this song on their 1980 final tour.  And what better way to say goodbye than through a never played before variation in "Stairway To Heaven".

I hope you enjoy the show...

Bootradr


SPECIAL NOTICE TO ALL!!!

THESE DOWNLOADS ARE FOR FREE ONLY!  NEVER BUY OR SELL ANY LEGALLY RECORDED BUT ILLEGAL TO SELL SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE.  THIS IS FOR FANS AND FUTURE FANS WHO WANT TO HEAR THE ARTIST'S MUSIC RAW & LIVE BUT NOT OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE OR RELEASED.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE ARTISTS BY BUYING THEIR OFFICIALLY RELEASED MATERIAL TOO.

KEEP IT FREE, KEEP IT AVAILABLE, AND MOST OF ALL; KEEP IT LEGAL!!!



      

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, not seen updates for a while, how are you doing? I saw you had issues with your sight, I really hope it hasn't got any worse for you. Anyway this is not a comment asking for more downloads just a comment to say I hope you are still doing OK and I wanted to wish you all the best.
    Stay strong,
    David.

    ReplyDelete